Note for used GPU buyers; EVGA's transferable warranty is a lie

Discuss hardware, PC, laptop, software help... whatever.
K4sum1
Lazy Owner
United States of America

Note for used GPU buyers; EVGA's transferable warranty is a lie

Unread post by K4sum1 »

The TL:DR is that if you're buying a used card, you should weigh EVGA the same as other AIBs.

I recently purchased an EVGA 2080 Ti Black off of eBay, it was a decent deal, especially since with the extended warranty the owner had, I would get a "transferable" 2.5 year warranty, or so I thought. The card has the ticking fan issue, where the fans tick when they power on, a somewhat common issue with their 2000 series cards.

I made a support ticket wanting to either get a replacement card or replacement fans, and they basically said that the original owner got this card as a replacement so fuck you lol, in a more professional manner. They also mentioned not having extra fans, so I couldn't even buy it from them even if I wanted to.

In the smaller tech spaces, I see others memeing EVGA. I assumed this was because of the 900/1000 series VRM issue (more common with the 900/1000 series, but seen on the 700 series of cards too), and the 80+ white/bronze power supplies being terrible, however I now know those are only part of the reason.
R3n who?