Paint.NET alternative with familiar GUI and able to import .pdn files

For projects that need help or topics that need research. Topics hard or impossible to find information on. Do not post basic help questions here.
K4sum1
Lazy Owner
United States of America

Unread post by K4sum1 »

I've decided to split some ideas from the contributing post into their own topic, so I can better explain them in a single contained post. This is the Paint.NET alternative. I would really appreciate it if a program like this was made. It would improve the usability of older/newer Windows versions alike.

With 4.0, Paint.NET improved so much that I'm not sure if I can go back to pre-4.x releases. For me, it's middle click panning, overscroll, better selection outline, settings dialog, maybe more I forgot. I also haven't found any other alternative that is so easy and nice to use. However 4.0.x is based off of .NET 4.6, and the rest of 4.x is 4.7. This means there's no XP/Vista compatibility, and no 8.0 or 10 1507 for 4.1+. Although Vista/8.0/10 1507 can use .NET 4.7+ with mods, the version checking code is so thorough that it can't be bypassed. I also see XP as the true minimum to aim for, so I think a different tool would be best.

Paint.NET used to be open source, however many years ago it was made closed source. There exists source code of the very old 3.36.7 release. Maybe this could be used as a base or for inspiration for a new program.

If used as a base, I assume the best way would be to build up from it to match 3.5.11 1:1, then backport features and usability improvements from later releases while keeping the basic layout similar to 3.5. Maybe if enough people asked on the forums we could get source code for 3.5.11. It's a 10+ year old release and almost a completely different codebase, maybe they could budge on that. It would significantly simplify the process.

If creating a new program, I mostly just want 3.5.11 layout GUi with similar tools and functionality to latest. It would also be nice to have a UNIX port so maybe C#/.NET isn't the best option, but idk.
I don't know what I'm doing hit album by Brad Sucks

Jevil7452
Poland

Unread post by Jevil7452 »

Someone did port Paint.NET to 8.0/10 1507/1511.
As for something based off of Paint.NET, there is Pinta, but i mention it more as a curiosity than anything, as it is kinda similiar yet also different in such a way that it's sure to piss off a Paint.NET user.

K4sum1
Lazy Owner
United States of America

Unread post by K4sum1 »

Hmm, interesting. Will have to try it.

Yeah, Pinta is too different. idk what they were thinking.
I don't know what I'm doing hit album by Brad Sucks