Branding notes and a few minor issues

The official support forum for the browser platform based on Goanna/UXP by roytam1, servicing many Windows 2000/XP users (particularly those on older hardware).

Moderator: roytam1

Compa

Unread post by Compa »

Mind updating the 'bookmarks' so that it references the Eclipse board instead of the Pale Moon forum (merely to help drive traffic here for New Moon support)? I just noticed it in the bookmarks bar by default, that's all. (On a note, any feelings towards the Neptune Navigator name for New Moon, preferably with a purple Netscape-like logo? Heck, I'd love to see the return of the 'animated' icon when loading a la Netscape!)

There's also references to the upstream product's name everywhere that still need to be stripped out, presumably these are hardcoded instead of calling the browser's name from wherever it's supposed to.

Also, three issues:
- None of the x64 browsers allow setting the default browser on Vista and above (works fine on XP x64). This appears to also be an issue with Mypal for some reason. Haven't tried the x86 builds.
- There's some useragent overrides that seem to be set on the default profile, but quite a large amount of them are inconsistent. Also, the addon Sasuga doesn't seem to pick them up UNLESS the user nukes the values first, which is... annoying. Maybe just nuke them altogether and make a thread with a list of overrides that should be applied in case the user needs them here?
- Serpent has the same issue as Centaury with the top right corner buttons (minimise/close/etc) being invisible 90% of the time outside Windows XP. Seems to be a problem with the way the interface is rendered, Aero then 'interferes' with it. The menu bar also looks like the inside of a pig's arse, a problem that started with Australis being introduced at all (except on specific themes).

Unrelatedly, even on a modern-ish processor (i3-2120), how the heck does anything using in-tab multiprocessing (e.g. Discord) running in the browser manage to rot the performance of any Pale Moon/Firefox based browser really quickly to the point of being unusable within some minutes of running? This seemed to be an issue starting from Firefox 52 ESR's codebase onwards, and never really got fixed. Sadly, 45 ESR crapped the boat in terms of Discord compatibility fairly recently, if I'm not mistaken.

K4sum1
Lazy Owner
United States of America

Unread post by K4sum1 »

Compa wrote: 21 Feb 2021, 01:57 Mind updating the 'bookmarks' so that it references the Eclipse board instead of the Pale Moon forum (merely to help drive traffic here for New Moon support)? I just noticed it in the bookmarks bar by default, that's all. (On a note, any feelings towards the Neptune Navigator name for New Moon, preferably with a purple Netscape-like logo? Heck, I'd love to see the return of the 'animated' icon when loading a la Netscape!)

There's also references to the upstream product's name everywhere that still need to be stripped out, presumably these are hardcoded instead of calling the browser's name from wherever it's supposed to.

Also, three issues:
- None of the x64 browsers allow setting the default browser on Vista and above (works fine on XP x64). This appears to also be an issue with Mypal for some reason. Haven't tried the x86 builds.
- There's some useragent overrides that seem to be set on the default profile, but quite a large amount of them are inconsistent. Also, the addon Sasuga doesn't seem to pick them up UNLESS the user nukes the values first, which is... annoying. Maybe just nuke them altogether and make a thread with a list of overrides that should be applied in case the user needs them here?
- Serpent has the same issue as Centaury with the top right corner buttons (minimise/close/etc) being invisible 90% of the time outside Windows XP. Seems to be a problem with the way the interface is rendered, Aero then 'interferes' with it. The menu bar also looks like the inside of a pig's arse, a problem that started with Australis being introduced at all (except on specific themes).

Unrelatedly, even on a modern-ish processor (i3-2120), how the heck does anything using in-tab multiprocessing (e.g. Discord) running in the browser manage to rot the performance of any Pale Moon/Firefox based browser really quickly to the point of being unusable within some minutes of running? This seemed to be an issue starting from Firefox 52 ESR's codebase onwards, and never really got fixed. Sadly, 45 ESR crapped the boat in terms of Discord compatibility fairly recently, if I'm not mistaken.
The useragent overrides are also a part of Pale Moon, or at least most of them should be.

You could try Serpent 55, it's probably the best out of the Roytam1 browsers. I wish Roytam1 would just take Serpent55 and try to follow Waterfox, or just take 45 and try extending the codebase.

I think the main issue with Discord is that there's no e10s with Pale Moon or Serpent 52 (55 has it though). Waterfox Classic and Discord works slowly but consistently. 45 ESR barely works with Discord though, but it's slower(?) than the others.
I don't know what I'm doing hit album by Brad Sucks

XP Luna
Germany

Unread post by XP Luna »

Compa wrote: 21 Feb 2021, 01:57 (On a note, any feelings towards the Neptune Navigator name for New Moon, preferably with a purple Netscape-like logo? Heck, I'd love to see the return of the 'animated' icon when loading a la Netscape!)
I really miss Netscape :cry: That would be great.
XP Luna

Kouto

Unread post by Kouto »

Apparently Tobin himself gave that very suggestion (the Neptune one). I mean, I feel like we should take it given the current names are simply placeholder names which could refer to either RT1's builds... or any other 'unendorsed' fork of Pale Moon. Distinction is important.

K-Meleon already had official endorsement from their community, while that one is actually my favourite of any of RT1's builds purely due to how damn lean it is, it'd be nice to see the other ones have their own identity :p