VMware WS 10 Install Issue (and solution)

Discuss hardware, PC, laptop, software help... whatever.
win32
Canada

Unread post by win32 »

I had difficulty upgrading from 10.0.1 to 10.0.7 today on Vista. The MSI would fail if run with the normal installer, but it worked after copying the vmware temp folder somewhere else then running msiexec.exe /i vmwareworkstation_x64.msi EULAS_AGREED=1.

I haven't changed my extended kernel install much since I installed 10.0.1 awhile back, so I don't see why this happens.

Compa

Unread post by Compa »

Is there not any debug output that was spewed you could post here? Kinda surprised you didn't put it in a code block or the likes, would have been the first thing I'd have done had there been an issue.

win32
Canada

Unread post by win32 »

I didn't bother posting the log because it said little more than "procedure "InstallMSI" failed".

Compa

Unread post by Compa »

10.0.7 was an out-of-bound patch for Meltdown/Spectre if I remember right (released long after 10.0.6) so might have some kind of relation, I dunno. Could try any other version and see if it causes issues (or maybe I could, since I don't exactly have it installed).

win32
Canada

Unread post by win32 »

I also tried 10.0.6 and got the same error. 10.0.7 was released in July 2015, so it would have been too early for that.

I had to get off 10.0.1 because I was getting occasional BAD_POOL_HEADER bugchecks upon returning from standby with that version.