lsass.exe not enough virtual memory during setup

Unread post by XP Luna »

So I wanted to create my "first" custom ISO of XP and integrated the following:

- Service Pack 3 of course
- As far as I can tell all available updates until 2019
- The Zune Theme
- UXTheme is patched
- SATA (AHCI) drivers

Sadly once the UI-Setup starts there is this error from lsass.exe with a message like "not enough virtual memory". Does anyone have an idea what causes this problem? I´m trying this out on a VM on a MacBook Pro 15" from 2015. The machine has 10 GB of space and a bit less than 4 GB of memory.
XP Luna

Plokzig

Unread post by Plokzig »

lsass.exe is causing a memory leak during the setup process, presumably due to something you slipstreamed - usually caused by an update that doesn't play nicely with integration without hacking around and/or is corrupted in some form.

Apparently this is a known issue with nLite when slipstreaming IE7, according to some old forum posts from 2008. There's very little info otherwise that I can find that could genuinely be relevant to your own situation, but there's probably some post-EOL/POSReady patch that is causing issues.

On a note, did you slipstream SP3 into an RTM disc or was it pre-included on the disc (I read about and you physically own the disc by the looks of things)? If yes, try with the file "en_windows_xp_professional_with_service_pack_3_x86_cd_x14-80428.iso" (Retail) or "en_windows_xp_professional_with_service_pack_3_x86_cd_vl_x14-73974.iso" (VLK) - which I won't be linking directly here, but just search it with the quotes included and you should find it. It might be worth using wget or curl instead of a browser to download if you find a direct URL in an open server directory - CLI download utilities are purpose-built, extremely flexible and should reduce the likelihood of file corruption.

XP Luna
Germany

Unread post by XP Luna »

Plokzig wrote: 05 Mar 2021, 08:42 but there's probably some post-EOL/POSReady patch that is causing issues.
I only included updates officially released for Windows XP, no POSReady Updates or unofficial service packs or whatever.
Plokzig wrote: 05 Mar 2021, 08:42 On a note, did you slipstream SP3 into an RTM disc or was it pre-included on the disc (I read about and you physically own the disc by the looks of things)?
I actually own an official Windows XP disk that has SP3 included, however that in only in german so I downloaded an English version which has SP3 included.
XP Luna

Plokzig

Unread post by Plokzig »

What's the SHA-1 hash of the Windows XP ISO you downloaded? If it doesn't match up with the MSDN ISOs I mentioned above, it's not a genuine/clean image.

As for the MSDN copies of XP Professional SP3 Retail/VLK SP3... their SHA-1 hashes are respectively listed below for your reference.
1c735b38931bf57fb14ebd9a9ba253ceb443d459
66ac289ae27724c5ae17139227cbe78c01eefe40

XP Luna
Germany

Unread post by XP Luna »

Plokzig wrote: 05 Mar 2021, 09:00 66ac289ae27724c5ae17139227cbe78c01eefe40
This one is mine.
XP Luna

XP Luna
Germany